PDA

View Full Version : Feature transfer error 1

dtieuf
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi,

I have been testing things that I thought had nothing to do with VBuild, but...

In DevStudio9, I created a full version setup (cab files)
In VBuild, I created an offline full version package.

On XP, I log in as member of the "PowerUsers" group.
When I use the InstallShield setup, the software gets installed.
When I use the VBuild setup, the setup stops with this message:

Feature Transfer Error
Error: 1

Any idea ?

BTW, my setup includes our software files + the InstallShield Object for MFC 6.2, VBuild sets the MFC dlls as "Shared", none of our software files is.

dtieuf

Alon
03-25-2004, 04:47 AM
In order to analyze the problem, we need to get the media.
Do u succeed to instal using the vBuild media in other environments?

Regarding the objects, these are files shared by various softwares (being objects) and as such are shared by their definition. The right thing to do was to mark them as objects, but treat them like shared DLLs. Unfortunatelly, this was not done, but it should not have an affect on the installation.

Let me know if u need an access to an FTP site to put the media. U can contact me directly via alon@redbend.com

dtieuf
03-29-2004, 10:06 AM
For info: We are using InstallShield DevStudio 9 and VBuild 2.1.

IlanaB
03-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Just to rule out some possible causes of the error, please log in as administrator and try to install your vBuild-created package then. Let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Ilana

dtieuf
03-29-2004, 10:43 AM
On XP, trying to install the VBuild media:

I log in as an Administrator.
->Installation succeeds.

I log in as a RestrictedUser.
->Installation succeeds.

I log in as a PowerUser.
-> Installation fails with this error.

Trying to install the InstallShield media:

I log in as an Administrator, RestrictedUser or PowerUser.
->Installation succeeds.

IlanaB
03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Did you log in the order you described above? I assume that you logged in as administrator and installed successfully, and then installed after logging as a resticted user - and succeded again. Did you then log on as Power user and tried to install again? If not, can you do this and tell me the result?

These questions have a point. During installation, in addition to product files, the vBuild engine is also installed, once, to a folder with most probably limited access rights. However, once the engine is installed when you log in as administrator, it no longer needs to be installed and so even as a restricted user you can install the product. If this is indeed what happened, you should now be able to install successfully as a Power user too.

Let me know what happens.

Ilana

dtieuf
03-29-2004, 11:01 AM
This happens on the PC that I use to BUILD the media.

I build as an Admnistrator.

So if a PC in our company should have the latest engine, it's got to be this one !

I installed/uninstalled a lot as Administrator.
Then I log in as PowerUser and get this error every time I try to install.

I log back as Administrator, and everything is ok as usual.

IlanaB
03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
It's pretty clear that the error has to do with file permissions on NTFS drives - it can be XP or Windows 2000. This was one of the issues we handled in vBuild 2.0 and 2.1 - apparently not completely.

Can you check and tell me what the access rights are for the folder where you install your product and for C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime, regarding Power users and restricted users (I assume administrator has all the rights)? This is where the dBenderCxx.dll goes (xx is a number). If possible, screenshots of the relevant folder properties tab would work best. You can send it to ilana@redbend.com.

Thanks,
Ilana

IlanaB
03-31-2004, 09:18 AM
We now fully understand what is happening:

An InstallScript setup.exe application (and engine) installs several files into an InstallShield cache folder (typically C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional and then the version number) in order to avoid re-downloading these DLLs on subsequent installations. For a vBuild media, InstallShield's engine also installs the vBuild's dBenderC14.dll file.

Unlike the other files, when installing as an Administrator this DLL is installed with incomplete permissions. Specifically, for dBenderC14.dll the Power User is not included in the list of users that have permissions. So if you install your first media as an Administrator, vBuild's DLL will be cached by InstallShield engine at that time with these inadequate permissions. If later on you try to install a vBuild media as a Power User, the DLL will not be accessible and the installation will fail - which is exactly what you experienced. The same persmissions work fine for regular users.

The code that installs dBenderC14.dll is written by InstallShield - it is their bug and must be fixed by them.

As a workaround until this bug is fixed, the user can log in as Administrator and delete the dBenderC14.dll file, then log in as Power User and run the installation - the DLL will be cached with the correct permissions. Also, if a vBuild media is first installed by a Power User, the permissions for the dBenderC14.dll are such that any user can later install vBuild packages.

Ilana