View Full Version : Folder names lose its case sensitive name when dragged
09-26-2003, 02:56 PM
I know this sounds a little nitpicky, but since I do a lot of this, it gets frustrating.
If I drag a folder (DesktopPLUS) from Windows Explorer to the [INSTALLDIR] in the Files and Folders view, it loses its case sensitive name (desktopplus).
I don't know if this is going to cause problems in the future, so I manually change the name everytime I drag a different folder.
Is anyone else experiencing this?
09-26-2003, 04:45 PM
I wasn't able to repro this. Could you give me some more details? Is the case change seen in the view, or only when the package is installed?
09-29-2003, 08:31 AM
It was in a Basic project.
This nuisance was occurring for a couple of days last week, but now that I have come back from the weekend, it doesn't do it anymore. I can't reproduce it.
I had rebooted the computer before and it was still occuring last week.
Thanks for your help!
09-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Well, it's doing it again. I was working with it all day yesterday and everything worked fine. When I started work this morning, the problem showed back up.
I did notice that when you drag and drop a folder (DesktopPLUS) and you're prompted whether to dynamically link or not, if I chose Yes, the folder is fine (DesktopPLUS). But if I chose No, the folder loses its case sensitivity (desktopplus).
I can't remember which way I was trying to do it yesterday, so my previous post may not be correct.
Hope this helps.
09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
I tried both ways (dynamic and non-dynamic) and I could not repro either way. I wonder if it has to do with specific file systems or folder locations.
09-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Ok, I think I was able to narrow it down a little.
It only happens when the source folder is not on C:. I was able to get it to mess up when I dragged the folder from my resource drive (E:) and from some of the networked drives. I think that's the key.
The tricky part is that if you make a blank project and try dragging the folder right away, it does not break. Try making the project like you would a real application. I cannot seem to find the specific change that triggers this problem.
I can reproduce this consistently by following this order (this is specific to my computer):
1. Start a new Basic MSI Project. Save it in the default location.
2. Complete the Project Assistant making changes like you would for a simple, real project. In my case, change the name of the application, version #, web address, application icon located on E:, EULA located on E:, and build a CD-ROM installation. That's the only custom changes I've made in the Project Assistant.
3. Complete the info in the General Information view. Author Name, Support Info, Application Type - Standard Windows Application. The INSTALLDIR is a little more custom - mine is just our company name without the product name, i.e. "[ProgramFilesFolder]DEPCO, Inc"
4. Go to the Files and Folders view. Drag and drop a folder capitalized folder from your slave drive (E:) onto the INSTALLDIR. Choose non-dynamic linking, and it should mess up.
If this doesn't work for you, I would be more than happy to send a project for you to try.
10-02-2003, 10:53 AM
I tried the same but could not reproduce it. Please send me the project file to firstname.lastname@example.org
10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
E-mail sent with ism file included.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.