PDA

View Full Version : Enable Maint. vs major upgrade

jbalgley
10-21-2002, 01:16 PM
I am starting to use Major Upgrade. I have Enable Maintenance set to "No". I have the major upgrade set to include the current version. If I install, and then immediately install again, I get the Enable Maint window. I wanted it to just uninstall and reinstall. Isn't that what major upgrades are supposed to do?

Art Middlekauff
10-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Major upgrades are designed for when you are releasing a new version of your application.

Suppose you release version 1 of your application.

Then you develop version 2 of your application.

Version 2 can be authored as a major upgrade that automatically uninstalls version 1 before installing version 2.

jbalgley
10-21-2002, 02:56 PM
What does the "include maximum version" setting mean? Can it include the current version?

I prefer to have each "build" of our product be "cleanly" installed. I.e., every time we make a new release, even if it's only the "build number" that is changed, we want to have the previously-installed old build uninstalled, and the new build installed. I.e., I release version 1.1.1. Then I release version 1.1.2. I want version 1.1.1 to be automatically uninstalled upon installing 1.1.2.

In the normal case, the newly-installed version is always "later" than the previously-installed version. But sometimes the user is trying to go to an older version, or even trying to reinstall the current version, and I'd like to use the major upgrade capability to *always* do the uninstall-then-reinstall.

Until now we have done this via documentation. But that's not very reliable.