PDA

View Full Version : What version of Windows Installer is REQUIRED by Developer 7.04?

JDAVIDI
08-12-2002, 10:56 AM
'ello everyone!

Experienced something I can't quite explain this morning. I'm familiar with the ability to package basic and standard project setup.exe's with either the Windows Installer 1.2 or 2.0 versions. From what I've found across many postings, just selecting the option for the 1.2 version is not enough (if that is the one I desire, so as to avoide the WinNT SP6 requirement), and I'd have to change some settings in my build machine's registry and my ISDev files. However, before I was aware of these changes I had to make, I had compiled a basic project with a setup launcher and chosen the option to use the 1.2 engine. We tested the install internally on a box that had the 1.11.2405.0 version of the service; a Windows Installer message box appeared referencing this version number, but did not error out, and much to my surprise, completed the install just fine (app works normally).
Hence, my question this morning to you is--when, in the media wizard (or releases view), when I select the 1.2 Windows Installer engine (or 2.0 for that matter), is that only what version of the service will be installed if NO Windows Installer service is on the box? Or should it have upgraded my test box to the 1.2 version (as I had expected)?

Apparently, my msi that I built with Developer 7.04 only required this 1.11.2405 version to run sucessfully; can msi files built with 7.04 be run with ANY version of the Windows Installer service?.

Was what happened just a fluke with one of our boxes?

Or am I just missing something (wouldn't be the first time :) )?

Much obliged!

--JDAV

tw0001
08-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Windows 2000's version 1.1 MSI cannot be upgraded to 1.2, but it can be updated to 2.0. (the MSI setup will not violate the system file protection of MSI - only the 2.0 setup will). That's why the engine is not being upgraded.

The 1.2 MSI files you generate will work in 1.1 MSI no problem.

Ted.

JDAVIDI
08-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Appreciate the info Ted, thanks.