PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to install Sql Server during install step?

manncm
01-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I am creating an InstallScript MSI project in IS 11.5 that needs to selectively install SQL Express during the installation of our product.

I have tried to do this a few different ways.

1. I added the SQL Express install into the support files of my project and then attempted to run it using InstallScript with the LaunchApp command. I did this during the Installing phase of a feature. When I did this I got an error saying Extraction Failed: Access Denied.

2. I added a Custom Action to run the SQL Express Install executable during the Install phase. When I did this, the SQL Express install started to run, but ran into the following error: Error 1618 installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup SupportFiles. Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.

3. I added the SQL Express install into the support files of my project and then attempted to run it using InstallScript with the LaunchApp command. I did this during the UI Phase of the install. This seemed to work fine, but it is not the best option.

Here is our question, is it possible to run the SQL Express Install while in the middle of the installation phase of our product install. Options 1 and 2 above did not seem to work. Is there another way?

If there is no other way, is it a bad idea to run the SQL Express install during the UI phase of our product install?

Thanks.

JordanIrwin
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, because I'm not sure what you mean by "in the middle of the installation phase of our product install".

This thread discussed SQL Server Express as a requirement, which means it will check for/and install before the installation begins.

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=154434&highlight=sql+server+express

On the 3rd page, you'll find this link: http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/isd.htm#PrqSQL2005Exp

Which explains how.

jazzman007
01-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Just to clarify some of the stuff from manncm (we're working together on the same project)....

What we're trying to accomplish is the ability to conditionally install SQL Express 2005 as part of our product. This needs to essentially be a feature, and based on a number of items (ie. setup type, if the user selected that feature), so installing it as a prerequisite is out; it has to be installed during the install as if it was part of the product.

We've been tasked to create the install, and the first step is to tackle the tough issues, most of which is if SQL Express can be conditionally installed as described. If it can't be, we have to drastically change the design/expectations of the install.

To clarify what we've tried:

1. I added the SQL Express install into the support files of my project and then attempted to run it using InstallScript with the LaunchApp command. I did this during the Installing phase of a feature. When I did this I got an error saying Extraction Failed: Access Denied.

3. I added the SQL Express install into the support files of my project and then attempted to run it using InstallScript with the LaunchApp command. I did this during the UI Phase of the install. This seemed to work fine, but it is not the best option.
Support Files: We've tried 2 methods involving including the SQLExpr.exe in the support files. For the first (#3), we call LaunchApp during OnFirstUIBefore between dialogs. This worked, however, doesn't seem like a very good way to do it. For the second (#1), we have a 'SQL Express' feature, and in the IS block to install that feature, we try LaunchApp. This fails with the error quoted from the original post.

2. I added a Custom Action to run the SQL Express Install executable during the Install phase. When I did this, the SQL Express install started to run, but ran into the following error: Error 1618 installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup SupportFiles. Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.
For this we just tried creating a custom action, which ran the setup exe from the binary table. This was the error I was afraid of, and brought on these tests; I remember reading somewhere that you can only install 1 msi install at a time.

Can anyone suggest other possibilities for installing SQL during the install phase of our product? What would the consequences be of installing it during the UI phase? Or would it be better to have multiple installs, and not include SQL express in the advanced setup version?

Thanks in advance,
John

Stefan Krueger
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I guess that the SQL Express setup is an msi package. You can't reliably run two msi files at the same time (you can if you call the child install from your UI sequence but that won't work in silent or basic UI mode).

jacobds
01-16-2006, 08:40 AM
I am working on almost the exact same task, and I was wondering if a solution has been found?

Please post if you have.

jazzman007
01-16-2006, 10:25 AM
jacobds,

From what we've found, there's no good way to do it. We're probably going to rethink the design of our install and make it a prereq where it is always required.

HTH,
John

Snoopstah
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I guess that the SQL Express setup is an msi package. You can't reliably run two msi files at the same time (you can if you call the child install from your UI sequence but that won't work in silent or basic UI mode).

I tired adding the SQLEXPR.EXE to my UI. The extraction of SQLEXPRE.EXE takes place and the installation starts. It however fails during SQL Express install when trying to execute the SQL Native Client.

Any ideas ?

Shuttledude
09-27-2006, 03:59 PM
I have discovered that the install for SQL Express 2005 will fail on Windows 2000 if you do not first install MDAC 2.8 . If I remember correctly, it failed during the installation of the Native Client. This failure persisted despite multiple attempts.

This would not be a problem for Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, as MDAC 2.8 is "built-in" to those operating systems.

Snoopstah
09-27-2006, 05:42 PM
This is not relevant to me as I was using Windows XP SP2. I've given up and gone with using the prerequisite, allowing the user the option to skip installing SQL Server 2005 Express.

I have discovered that the install for SQL Express 2005 will fail on Windows 2000 if you do not first install MDAC 2.8
I didn't think SQL Server 2005 Express requires MDAC. It only uses Native Client. Sounds like an odd thing to be needing.

zxbuilder
09-29-2006, 01:38 PM
SQL express 2005 does need .NET 2.0 and MAC 2.8

mohit.raghav
01-30-2008, 08:53 PM
SQL express 2005 does need .NET 2.0 and MAC 2.8

did anyone find solution for this one???
thanks
mohit